Monday 2 March 2009

Yellow Berghaus rucksack still going strong!


Last summer I undertook a trip to Canada with the aim of climbing the remote and beautiful Lotus Flower Tower and paddling the Nahanni River back to civilisation. When I say remote, it truly was: three long days of driving North from Vancouver, a short ferry ride, a 2.5 hour float plane ride from Fort Simpson and then a 14 hour walk-in from hell left brought us and our climbing gear to the Cirque of the Unclimbables and the base of the Lotus Flower Tower. After 11 days in the Cirque 10 days of paddling with all of our kit saw us back in Fort Simpson, tired but very happy! The kit that we took determined not only our comfort during nearly 4 weeks out of civilisation but also our success. We were lucky enough to be supported with kit by Berghaus. The Phantom 37 rucksack (pictured in use) proved to be my favourite piece of kit on the trip. After chopping off a few bits that I didn't need, it proved to be comfortable when worn on long multi-pitch ascents, was incredibly light and even made a good foot warmer for Pete and I when we bivvied on a ledge with minimal gear! I have had some comments about the colour...all I can say is that you'll never lose me on the hill (you decide whether that's a good or bad thing!!).

No comments: